- Concordance Between Proxy Level of Care Preferences and Advance Directives Among Nursing Home Residents with Advanced Dementia: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019 Jan;57(1).
- Quintiliani L, Murphy J, Buitron de la Vega B, Waite K, Armstrong, S, Henault L, Volandes A, Paasche-Orlow M, Feasibility and Patient Perceptions of Video Declarations Regarding End-of-Life Decisions by Hospitalized Patients . Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2018 Mar 13. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0351.
- El-Jawahri A, Paasche-Orlow MK, Matlock D, Stevenson LW, Lewis EF, Stewart G, et al. Randomized Controlled Trial of an Advance Care Planning Video Decision Support Tool for Patients With Advanced Heart Failure. Circulation. 2016; 134(1):52-60.
- Volandes AE, Paasche-Orlow MK, Davis AD, Eubanks R, El-Jawahri, Seitz R, Use of Video Decisions Aids to Promote Advance Care Planning Hilo, Hawai'i. J Gen Intern Med. 2016; 31(9):1035-40.
- El-Jawahri A, Temel JS, Ramachandran KJ, Jackson VA, Chang Y, Walker-Corkery ES, Mann E, Volandes AE. A randomized controlled trial of a CPR video decision support tool for seriously ill hospitalized patients with advanced cancer. Abstract accepted, ASCO Annual Meeting 2015.
- El-Jawahri A, Mitchell SL, Paasche-Orlow MK, Temel JS, Jackson VA, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a CPR and intubation video decision support tool for hospitalized patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2015; 30(8):1071-80.
- Epstein AS, Volandes AE, Chen LY, Gary KA, Li Y, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a cardiopulmonary resuscitation video in advance care planning for progressive pancreas and hepatobiliary cancer patients. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2013; 16(6):623-31.
- Volandes AE, Paasche-Orlow MK, Mitchell SL, El-Jawahri A, Davis AD, et al. Randomized controlled trial of a video decision support tool for cardiopulmonary resuscitation decision making in advanced cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2012; 31(3):380-6.
- McCannon JB, O'Donnell WJ, Thompson BT, El-Jawahri A, Chang Y, et al. Augmenting communication and decision making in the intensive care unit with a cardiopulmonary resuscitation video decision support tool: a temporal intervention study. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2012; 15(12):1382-7.
- Volandes AE, Levin TT, Slovin S, Carvajal RD, O'Reilly EM, et al. Augmenting advance care planning in poor prognosis cancer with a video decision aid: a preintervention-postintervention study. Cancer. 2012; 118(17):4331-8.
- Volandes AE, Brandeis GH, Davis AD, Paasche-Orlow MK, Gillick MR, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a goals-of-care video for elderly patients admitted to skilled nursing facilities. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2012; 15(7):805-11.
- Volandes AE, Ferguson LA, Davis AD, Hull NC, Green MJ, et al. Assessing end-of-life preferences for advanced dementia in rural patients using an educational video: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011; 14(2):169-77.
- Deep KS, Hunter A., Murphy K, Volandes A. "It helps me see with my heart": how video informs patients' rationale for decisions about future care in advanced dementia. Patient Educ Couns. 2010 Nov;81(2):229-34
- El-Jawahri A, Podgurski LM, Eichler AF, Plotkin SR, Temel JS, et al. Use of video to facilitate end-of-life discussions with patients with cancer: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010; 28(2):305-10.
- Volandes AE, Barry MJ, Chang Y, Paasche-Orlow MK. Improving decision making at the end of life with video images. Medical Decision Making. 2010; 30(1):29-34.
- Volandes AE, Mitchell SL, Gillick MR, Chang Y, Paasche-Orlow MK. Using video images to improve the accuracy of surrogate decision-making: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2009; 10(8):575-80.
- Volandes AE, Paasche-Orlow MK, Barry MJ, Gillick MR, Minaker KL, et al. Video decision support tool for advance care planning in dementia: randomised controlled trial. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2009; 338:b2159.
- Volandes AE, Ariza M, Abbo ED, Paasche-Orlow M. Overcoming educational barriers for advance care planning in Latinos with video images. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2008; 11(5):700-6.
- Volandes AE, Paasche-Orlow M, Gillick MR, Cook EF, Shaykevich S, et al. Health literacy not race predicts end-of-life care preferences. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2008; 11(5):754-62.
- Volandes AE, Lehmann LS, Cook EF, Shaykevich S, Abbo ED, et al. Using video images of dementia in advance care planning. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007; 167(8):828-33.
Want to Learn More?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about what we have learned from ten years of research about medical decision making and cultural transformation in health care.